Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bye-bye binkies


Gabby was a binkie baby. We started her on them when she was really little because we had to keep her from crying due to her heart defect, and they were a help. She kept on with the binkies until well into last year. Her dentist and other doctors didn't have a problem with it, so we didn't wean her. Then, some while back, she started to self-wean. She'd go to sleep and not ask for one. She quit carrying one around. She seemed to just not be interested in them. She hasn't had one in her mouth since before Jack died.
The top drawer of the changing table has a window in it, and you could see the binkies in their little plastic bowl in the drawer. Tonight as I was getting her ready for bed, Gabby said, "I want a binkie." I told her, "You haven't used a binkie in a long time. I'm about ready to put them in the garbage." To which she replied, "I'll put them in the garbage." "Are you sure you want do do that, Gabby?" "Yes." So, I handed her the bowl of binkies, and she ran to the kitchen garbage and threw them away. When I found another one a minute later, she happily threw that one away, too. I told her what a big girl she is now. We said, "Bye-bye, binkies." to them. They are now truly a thing of the past.

This was taken last Dec.

1 comment: